Horned Frogs Earn Win at Baylor with Running Game
November 4, 2020
Well, we made it back from the Brazos unscathed. Well, mostly.
A quick trip for a win at Baylor and a stop for some jalapeño-cheddar sausage at Slovacek’s in West, Texas, made it the perfect college football Saturday.
Things I liked and need to see more of from the Frogs:
- A defense that flew around and set the tone early with some big hits. That will work against ANYONE.
- A recommitment to the running game and a show put on by multiple backs (including Darwin Barlow and Zach Evans) who hit the hole quickly and put a lot of pressure on the front six of the defense. Defenders gotta respect that.
- An offensive line that had fun blocking the run and, at times, did a good job protecting Max Duggan. (Another must on the shopping list.)
- Lots of young guys making plays along the defensive line. The rotation kept the Frogs fresh in the fourth quarter.
- Resiliency in the face of adversity during the third and fourth quarters when, for a while, it looked like Baylor was gonna party like it’s 2014.
Now the challenge is to bring that same energy into Amon G. Carter Stadium. Up until now, the Frogs’ fire-starter has worked on the road but not at home. Time to fuel it up and go bonfire this weekend against Texas Tech.
Tech’s on the schedule where it should be. Early November, just like back in the Southwest Conference days.
We’ll take a look at the Red Raiders from Texas Technical College on Friday.